News Flash: Pope Francis' take on Gays

7/31/2013 11:40:00 AM

Image courtesy of http://rainbowsashmovement.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/gay-and-lesbian-catholic-groups-disagree-about-the-election-of-pope-francis/

Homosexuality is a sensitive topic, especially when we talk about the boundaries set by any given religion.

Last night as I was getting ready to go to work, a local channel featured news about Pope Francis commenting on Gays and Lesbians. After hearing what he said, I felt a sense of acceptance I have never felt before. It's as if a big weight has been lifted off my shoulder. I said to myself: "It's uplifting that our Pontiff doesn't look at members of the LGBT community for what we are but for who we are."

I never had problems growing up. I never heard my parents castigate me for being gay, despite the fact that I'm their only child. I am loved an supported, despite my sexual preference. However, living here in the Philippines as a gay man/woman is bitter sweet. The LGBT community is generally accepted, but we still get the "beating" either verbally (or physically for others) once in a while.

As the Pope said: "If a gay person, is a person of good will who seeks God, who am I to judge?"

To my  fellow Filipinos, my fellow Roman Catholics and Christians, who hate the LGBT community in it's entirety, let me ask you this: "Who are you to judge?"

Watch his interview:


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Zalora Philippines

Zalora Philippines

Zalora Philippines